Thursday, May 6, 2010

Badminton News: Shuttler Hafiz can turn to coach, brother for advice

By RAJES PAUL

MOHD Hafiz Hashim should be smiling. He has an advantage over everyone else to win a tie for Malaysia in a deciding match of a Thomas Cup tie.
And if he fails to capitalise on it, he will only have himself to blame.



Besides home advantage, he has his coaches, Hendrawan and elder brother Roslin, to give him pointers on what to do and what not to do in a deciding match.
It was Hendrawan who defeated Roslin in the third singles in the 2002 final in Guangzhou to give Indonesia a 3-2 victory.
That was the last time Malaysia played in the final. As for Indonesia, it was the last time that they emerged as the Thomas Cup champions.
Hendrawan said that Hafiz had the benefit to learn from coaches with experience on how to cope if he were thrown into a do-or-die situation.
“He has the best of both worlds. I am able to relate to him on what strategy I used to overpower Roslin while his brother can tell him as to why he lost,” said the former world champion.
“That year, I went into the match as the underdog but I did not let it dampen my spirit and focus.
“Hopefully, Hafiz will be able to make use of the priceless tips and learn from our experiences.”
Hendrawan said that he was getting used to his unique situation ahead of the Finals.
“Before the match against Roslin (in 2002), I played against Hafiz in the group tie and beat him. He was so young then but yet he had so much fire in him,” he said.
“Now, I am his coach and may have to plot a victory for Malaysia over Indonesia.
“I am a professional and I will give my best. In fact, I do not feel good when people on the street here keep on reminding me that I was the cause of Malaysia’s defeat in 2002.
“I have a chance to change that and help bring back the Cup for Malaysia. I will do my best to make sure that Hafiz delivers.”
Hendrawan added that he was not raising hopes on Hafiz’s chances but genuinely believes that his charge can rise to the occasion.
“He is in good spirit and showing some extra zeal. I see determination in him to fulfil his responsibilities as the third singles player,” he said.
Most of Malaysia’s ties this time are expected to go down to the wire and Hafiz will be out to make amends for failure in the last Finals in Jakarta. Then, he lost to China’s Chen Jin in the semi-final tie.

Taken from: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2010/5/6/sports/6199939&sec=sports

No comments:

Post a Comment