Monday, April 5, 2010

TheStar news: Kwong Beng hopes to give Chinese players a run for their money

KUALA LUMPUR: Back-up shuttler Chan Kwong Beng has not played against a player from China over the last three years.
And he is excited over the prospect of meeting more than one of them at the Asian championships (ABC), which will be held in New Delhi from April 12-18.




The world number 52 has been drawn to play against Wang Zhengming in the opening round. And if he gets past the Chinese junior, he should be up against former world junior champion Chen Long in the second round.
With steadier performances over the last one year, Kwong Beng hopes to give the Chinese players a run for their money.
“I have not played against a Chinese player after many years. I played against Chen Hong once before three years ago and was beaten in straight games,” he said.
“Zhengming is two years my junior and he is a skilful player. This time, I am more confident with my preparation and I will be out to give good fights.
“Playing against Chinese players will also give me the opportunity to find out where I stand on current form.”
Although Kwong Beng is on a losing battle as far as his selection for the Thomas Cup Finals squad is concerned, the 22-year-old has not given up hope.
“I know my chances of making the squad are not as bright as several other back-up players. But good performances in the ABC may sway the coaches’ decision,” said Kwong Beng, whose best result was a runner-up finish in the Malaysian International Challenge last year.
“Thanks to regular sparring with (Lee) Chong Wei, I play a faster game than I used to do and I hope to be able to maintain my speed in a bid to achieve a breakthrough there (in New Delhi).”
National coach Misbun Sidek said that Kwong Beng had improved and hoped that the latter would be able to rise to the challenge.
“I want him to chalk up his best results in India. Good results will certainly give me better grounds to recommend him for major tournaments,” he said.
Besides Kwong Beng, Malaysia’s other representatives in the men’s singles at the ABC are Tan Chun Seang, Chong Wei Feng, Kuan Beng Hong, Lok Chong Chieh and Mohd Hafiz Hashim.
The top two seeds are Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia and China’s three-time world champion Lin Dan.

No comments:

Post a Comment